February 2018’s Budget Review is coming at you a little late. It’s been a busy couple of days, but here it is! And on my brand new site, too! Isn’t it pretty? Like I mentioned in a previous post, February was going to be a tough month, budget-wise! My predictions were correct: I did NOT achieve my monthly savings goal of $1400.
I still managed to save some money. Here’s how February looked…
February 2018 Budget Review
Where we went over budget:
- Car maintenance: In addition to getting our car serviced, we also realized we needed new windshield wipers. This in addition to a few other unexpected expenses led us to go over.
- Business: We ran out of boxes for our soaps and needed to buy new ones. We decided to go a box size bigger, which explained why we went a little over budget. I really need to be keeping better track of my business supplies to avoid surprises like this!
- Entertainment: Cale’s MLB subscription kicked in this month, which surprised us. We’d completely forgotten about it. That, and spending a little too freely on hobbies is what pushed us way over.
- Groceries: Our vegetarian weeks are really helping us save. I think the numbers may be a bit skewed because we shop a lot at Costco and sometimes home supplies or other shopping may be lumped in under “groceries”. I need to keep better track at splitting the bills for more accurate calculations.
- Celebrations: Our niece was baptized this month and we decided to spend a little more for her gift.
- Furniture and supplies: I took up a big interest in orchids and decided to get a humidifier for them as our condo’s air is extremely dry. That and a few other supplies we suddenly ran out pushed us over.
- Makeup and skincare: Those following me on Instagram know that I’d previously been happily using coconut oil as my face moisturizer. For years, it was wonderful and my skin loved it. More recently, it’s been making me break out like crazy. I switched to a MUCH more expensive skin routine and saw almost immediate improvement. I’m realizing that the more mature my skin gets, the bigger its needs.
Savings Goal Tracker
I made this really nifty Savings Goal Tracker in excel. I thought it’d be really fun to track how much closer I was getting to my goal as the months pass:
Budget Goals for March
I’m seriously pumped about March. Some months out of the year, Cale and I receive 5 pay checks and March happens to be one of those months. Does that me extra spending? Nope! It’s an opportunity for extra SAVING.
I’ll post the March budget in a later post, but we’re hoping to save BIG.